Monday, January 19, 2009

I am most of the way through "A Year Without 'Made in China'" and it's not what I expected. The author is boycotting Chinese-made goods just for one year, and just to prove that it can be done.

Some of the hang-ups they've encountered so far include a broken blender, printer ink cartridges, sunglasses, beach toys for their 2 kids, and flip-flops. Sounds minor, but now that I go and look at all the shoes, sunglasses and summer toys in our house (and, I'm ashamed to say, the goodie-bag stuff for Sarah's party on Saturday, which I bought BEFORE the New Year), it's ALL made in China!

I did have a little luck with one additional craft item for Sarah's party... little suncatchers. I already had a few (but had thought I had more) for the kids to paint at the party... palm trees, flip-flops, etc. I found more at Joann's yesterday... Made in the USA. I also found 100% cotton thread made in Greece, since the only toys that I will be able to sell after CPSIA goes into effect on Feb 10 will be 100% cotton or 100% wood. All else HAS to be tested for lead and anything with plastic also has to be tested for phthalates, too.

I wonder if the Chinese will stip making cheap plastic toys for our country to gobble up and focus on wood toys (with no paint or varnish) and cotton toys??? I somehow doubt it!

No comments:

Post a Comment