Friday, January 2, 2009

NOT Made in China

In a rare moment, I decided to make a New Year's Resolution and avoid all products "Made in China." This is daunting, considering how many things we, as a society, have come to rely upon that happens to be "Made in China."

For those of you who don't know me, I say this is "rare" because I really never make New Year's Resolutions. I think they're silly and I know myself... I wouldn't stick with an exercise plan, or a lack of caffeine... I can do it for Lent, but that's just 40 days... not a whole year (or more!). I am doing this to make a lifestyle change, but also to make others aware that there's a reason we should be looking for alternatives to "Made in China."

So far, I have only had one "hiccup" in my adventures... and I'm only on Day 2!!! I had to return a Christmas gift that didn't fit and decided to mark something off my Christmas list that I didn't get... a new comforter or quilt for our bed. In nearly 10 years of marriage, we've only have one "new" quilt for our bed - one my aunt made as a wedding gift. I love it and wish I could keep it on our bed, but it doesn't match the decor, and more importantly, we have two stupid cats who would destroy it. I treasure that quilt and don't want it destroyed, so it's safely tucked away until my decor changes (and until we no longer have two stupid cats).

So I found a beautiful quilt and took it to the register and paid for it and then had a sickening thought... I didn't check the tag! I was so disappointed when I saw where it was made, but I returned it and took my money to shop around some more.

Now I had money burning a hole in my pocket... I HAD to spend it! ;-) I could have (should have) looked on Etsy.com, shophandmade.com, or even on the fair trade web sites, but in all honesty, I knew I didn't have the money for that, so for a big purchase like this, I had to compromise and look for something NOT "Made in China."

I finally found a beautiful quilt (although a little more flowery than I would have chosen) that was made in India - and on clearance, too! AND with a coupon! I also found new flannel sheets (made in Turkey) that match and will replace the old sheets we have had probably since we got married. They're a bit thin, although I'll donate the fabric to Project Linus and hopefully they will make soft and snuggly blankets for newborns and sick children.

So please consider joining me on my new adventure... If you're looking for a bit of a push, read A Year Without "Made in China":One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy by Sara Bongiorni. Also, google "not made in china" for other resources. I will try to list more of my reasons as I blog along... :o)

1 comment:

  1. Kim,

    I share your mission and your "struggle". It is really difficult finding items not made in China and even more difficult on a budget. Since my awareness of this as an issue came about, I've wondered: when exactly did we become so dependent on Chinese imports as a society? and when did we decide that we shouldn't be paying fair prices for products produced fairly? The issue perplexes me and disturbs me.

    Keep the blog going! I feel your pain!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete